Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Full Time ALT vs Part-time + Freelance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deathblob View Post
    You could borrow some cash from the yakuza, to buy a dim sim cart. That's thinking outside the box!
    Something tells me that Tatsuo wouldn't be willing to do that either!

Comment

Originally posted by Deathblob View Post
      You could borrow some cash from the yakuza, to buy a dim sim cart. That's thinking outside the box!
      Nasty! But funny. I bet you know where there's a dim sim cart for sale, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
        3 days a week (no. of hours = ???)
        156,000 yen pay (guaranteed, of course?), and you get a work visa?

This I have to see!
        Fill in the no. of hours blank above, and tell us where you live (for the sake of standard of living costs), especially if the visa goes through.
        13,000 a day x 3 days/week x 4 weeks/month = 156,000. I mean guaranteed in the sense that its a fixed rate and the position is 3 days a week. I'm aware that we don't get paid for holidays, but neither do many full-time ALT's over the big breaks. The smaller 1 day holidays here and there are fine, and only affect me if they fall on a day I'm scheduled to work. Where I live is irrelevant, I've been here 9 months and I'm aware of the minimum I need/want to make.

Originally posted by Tatsuo View Post
        What are you talking about, man ? "Risk averse", "for focused, organized, determined individuals" etc. lol

We are talking about ALT and Eikaiwa, not some executive position in investment banking. Wanna compare "eating horse sh!t" and
        "eating dog sh!it" ? Trust me: You lose whatever you take. Unless you already have 1`2@in investments and do this "jobs" as
        a kind of hobby, my advice: GET A REAL JOB and EARN REAL MONEY or TAKE A REAL RISK AND OPEN/BUY A BUSINESS .

...and please, stop talking about 20-30/month from one source or several sources in ESL as this were the biggest decision you've made so far. There are people your age that pay more income tax/month. Grow up !
        What are YOU talking about?! The principles of risk apply to more than just investment banking. And last time I checked they weren't giving out work visas for people with imaginary jobs, and we don't work for monopoly money, so I fail to see how being and ALT or working in an Eikaiwa isn't considered a real job. It may not be YOUR idea of a GOOD job, but it is indeed a REAL one. If you are happy and able to support the lifestyle you want for yourself, the amount you make or what you do doesn't really matter.

Grow up?! Do you even know how old I am or what I've done so far with my life or why I am doing this? Maybe you should find those things out first before you start telling people to grow up. All I wanted was constructive input on the options above, not a lecture on how I should live my life and where to invest my money from someone who obviously hasn't done these things for himself yet. Maybe it's you that needs to get a real job or one that makes you happier if you have time to troll these forums and make such comments.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod68camaro View Post
          13,000 a day x 3 days/week x 4 weeks/month = 156,000. I mean guaranteed in the sense that its a fixed rate and the position is 3 days a week. I'm aware that we don't get paid for holidays, but neither do many full-time ALT's over the big breaks. The smaller 1 day holidays here and there are fine, and only affect me if they fall on a day I'm scheduled to work. Where I live is irrelevant, I've been here 9 months and I'm aware of the minimum I need/want to make.
          Thank you for the reply, but I think immigration is going to want to know the number of hours you intend to work for that 13,000/day. Got a rough estimate?

It is irrelevant to know where you live? Nope. You're wrong. Standard of living is different in Tokyo vs. Okinawa, for example, so you may get by easier on a low salary in Okinawa but not Tokyo. C'mon. Nobody's stalking you. Where is the job?

Comment

Ignore Tatsuo he is a western troll pretending to be japanese. He is just posting here to provoke and annoy people.

I would go for option 1 and marry asap. After 3 years get in line for your PR. Once you have your PR you can do whatever you want.

Oh for what it's worth: A fulltime job looks better on your resume then 2 parttime jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatsuo View Post
              What are you talking about, man ? "Risk averse", "for focused, organized, determined individuals" etc. lol

We are talking about ALT and Eikaiwa, not some executive position in investment banking. Wanna compare "eating horse sh!t" and
              "eating dog sh!it" ? Trust me: You lose whatever you take. Unless you already have 1~2@in investments and do this "jobs" as
              a kind of hobby, my advice: GET A REAL JOB and EARN REAL MONEY or TAKE A REAL RISK AND OPEN/BUY A BUSINESS .

...and please, stop talking about 20-30/month from one source or several sources in ESL as this were the biggest decision you've made so far. There are people your age that pay more income tax/month. Grow up !
              I am quite impressed with this post. I am quite sure that knowing people like you will humble me. Great work.

Comment

Overall option 1 is better in my opinion. Everything is already set up for you.

Gaba doesn't pay teachers for transportation, that will take a bite into your estimated 18000yen compensation. How much depends on which branch they place you at and how far that is from your home.

Private lessons: Depending on where you are, getting private students can be difficult, not to mention, in addition, same for Gaba, if a student cancels, you might find yourself out of cash. Other items such as setting up a meet location can be problematic as well depending on your students.

For the 11,000yen "sub at least once a month", what happens for those months that all the instructors are Genki? Can't sub if no one is sick our out for whatever reason.
                Not to mention, lets say an instructor is out sick, who is to say that you are the first person they call to be the sub? Worst yet, the day the person is out just happens to be the day you are working as an ALT. Another 11,000 yen subtracted.

Too many variables to deal with for "flexibility", not to mention even if things went perfect as you planned, you are still missing out on the 45,000+ extra yen a month that option 1 provides. There are months where you might find yourself making 60,000+ yen less by going with option 2 instead of option 1.

Comment

I'd go for option 1. The full-time position provides higher base income, and you'd probably still have time to pick up supplemental work. Private lessons and substitute positions can be feast-or-famine, so you don't want your primary income to be from that source.

Comment

Not funny

This isn't funny anymore. Option 1 is an actual job (it gives you fixed income, and a visa). You say option 2 gives you flexibility, flexibility to do what? Work more? If that's the case just take option 1, and work out some private lessons on the side (it's done all the time)? What it really sounds like is you want to basically not work, but also not starve and not be homeless, because otherwise as the previous posters suggest, start your own business. Honestly, option 2 is going to blow up in your face at some point in the future, and it's going to be messy.

Comment

Working...
                    X