Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Aspiring English Teacher

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspiring English Teacher

Konnichiwa minna san!

Just a quick question and hoping to get an answer.

I am a undergraduate of BS course (i wasn't able to finish my thesis, that's the reason). I have a permanent residence visa, N3 JLPT certificate and planning to get a TESOL.

Heres the question:

Do I have a chance to teach English? Am I qualified? If I'm not, what else should i need to do?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by meet_me_at_midnight View Post
    Konnichiwa minna san!

Just a quick question and hoping to get an answer.

I am a undergraduate of BS course (i wasn't able to finish my thesis, that's the reason). I have a permanent residence visa, N3 JLPT certificate and planning to get a TESOL.

Heres the question:

Do I have a chance to teach English? Am I qualified? If I'm not, what else should i need to do?

Thanks in advance!
    IF you have PR then technically you dont need sponsorship. That said many employers will ask for a degree regardless.

Just tell them you dont need a degree/sponsorship.

Comment

ThAnk you so much for your fast reply.

Comment

I too am hoping to teach English in Japan, especially kids classes. I have a degree but no experience teaching the kids. What do you think my chances are?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Pedovar View Post
          I too am hoping to teach English in Japan, especially kids classes. I have a degree but no experience teaching the kids. What do you think my chances are?
          As good as anyone else. Just apply to the places that sponsor visas and teach kids. All of the large eikaiwa companies and ALT dispatch companies. You may as well try them all. Here are some: Interac, Borderlink, Altia Central, Heart English School are for ALT work in Japanese public schools. Peppy Kids Club, ECC, AEON, Amity, Berlitz, Jibun Mirai Associe (NOVA) are eikaiwa. And, of course, anything you can find on Gaijinpot's job forum. But for the large companies it's best to apply through their website if you are not in Japan, as you can't apply to a specific position necessarily. If you're overseas AND need visa sponsorship you'd be looking at coming out for September start so apply now! It's advisable to apply 3-5months before the date you'd have to be in Japan to start work because of how long it takes to get your working visa finalised. So that means RIGHT NOW. Go Go GO!
          Last edited by sideways_gun; 2012-04-25, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I too am hoping to teach English in Japan, especially classes with no kids. I have a degree but no experience finding teaching jobs with no kids. What do you think my chances are?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro Pedovar View Post
              What is your nationality, Pedro?

Originally posted by Japan.bound
              I too am hoping to teach English in Japan, especially classes with no kids. I have a degree but no experience finding teaching jobs with no kids. What do you think my chances are?
              What are your qualifications and nationality? What age kids do you NOT want to teach?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenski View Post
                What is your nationality, Pedro?

What are your qualifications and nationality? What age kids do you NOT want to teach?
                He lacks experience in looking for a job, not in teaching classes with no kids.

Give advice on job-hunting instead.

Comment

I have a 4 year non-teaching related Bachelor's Degree and was born in the US. Ideally, my target audience would be overachieving, high GPA students who care more about being overachievers than bonding with me, or businessmen who work so much that they have no time to spend with me in a non-work related activity. I don't want students who will kiss my ___. I want one on one teaching because it means I deal with 8 students a day at most, while teaching entire classes would have me dealing with possibly over 200 students a day as a worst case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Japan.bound View Post
                    I have a 4 year non-teaching related Bachelor's Degree and was born in the US. Ideally, my target audience would be overachieving, high GPA students who care more about being overachievers than bonding with me, or businessmen who work so much that they have no time to spend with me in a non-work related activity.
                    Good luck finding GPA students, as no such thing exists here.

Businessmen will be so busy they will skip classes as they have overtime to do, or no time to attend regularly. You can then read the newspaper instead.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                      He lacks experience in looking for a job, not in teaching classes with no kids.

Give advice on job-hunting instead.
                      Sorry, but you didn't read that right, KB. There are 2 people here looking for work. Pedro is the one that admitted to having "a degree but no experience teaching the kids." Besides, I asked about nationality because of visa concerns.

Originally posted by Japan.bound
                      Ideally, my target audience would be overachieving, high GPA students who care more about being overachievers than bonding with me
                      Very few Japanese are like that! Besides, the concept of GPA is just barely getting started in Japan. You need to do better research on what the market is like here.

I want one on one teaching because it means I deal with 8 students a day at most, while teaching entire classes would have me dealing with possibly over 200 students a day as a worst case scenario.
                      I'm sorry, but you need to get real here. Very few places have one on one teaching. The market is crowded here, and employers need customers in groups, not individual seats, to make it pay. Your ideal is ok for private lessons but not so much for FT work.

Eikaiwa classes will give you 4-8 classes per day with 2-10 students per class.
                      ALT work will give you about 4-5 classes per day with 20-40 students per class.
                      That's life.

Comment

Very few Japanese are like that! Besides, the concept of GPA is just barely getting started in Japan. You need to do better research on what the market is like here.
                        Then what the hell do they care about as far as advancing in school?

I'm sorry, but you need to get real here. Very few places have one on one teaching. The market is crowded here, and employers need customers in groups, not individual seats, to make it pay. Your ideal is ok for private lessons but not so much for FT work.

Eikaiwa classes will give you 4-8 classes per day with 2-10 students per class.
                        ALT work will give you about 4-5 classes per day with 20-40 students per class.
                        That's life.
                        I noticed that GABA offers one-on-one teaching. I also noticed that almost everyone on this board seems to hate that particular employer. Is that not a viable option for acquiring and maintaining a work visa?

Comment

Then what the hell do they care about as far as advancing in school?
                          If they want to get into a university, or a TOEIC score is required by an employer for a promotion ro pay raise then it provides an incentive to study. For the vast majority there is no incentive to improve in English for its own sake.

I noticed that GABA offers one-on-one teaching. I also noticed that almost everyone on this board seems to hate that particular employer. Is that not a viable option for acquiring and maintaining a work visa?

Only if you want to spend a majority of your waking hours in a company that pays no health insurance, no paid vacations, no transportation costs and makes you buy your own suit for work. If you are that desperate for a work visa we won't stand in your way.
                          Seems a incredibly high price to pay though.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                            If they want to get into a university, or a TOEIC score is required by an employer for a promotion ro pay raise then it provides an incentive to study. For the vast majority there is no incentive to improve in English for its own sake.
                            Then why would the vast majority even take English at all? If there is no reason to learn something, it's just pointless busy work that serves no purpose. May as well say hi to everyone you see, it's all the same.

Only if you want to spend a majority of your waking hours in a company that pays no health insurance, no paid vacations, no transportation costs and makes you buy your own suit for work. If you are that desperate for a work visa we won't stand in your way.
                            Seems a incredibly high price to pay though.
                            So what other employers would have one on one besides GABA?

Comment

Then why would the vast majority even take English at all? If there is no reason to learn something, it's just pointless busy work that serves no purpose. May as well say hi to everyone you see, it's all the same.
                              English is required to enter university here but it doesn't test spoken or communicative language or ability to actually use English. Japanese know they cant speak English but they at least go through the motions of trying to study it. What they learn at high school is pointless but its THEIR system and we just learn to work around it. Some need it for work and their companies, others want to learn some English so they can travel overseas. Unless you have a clear reason for doing something and a particular goal to work towards most people simply won't motivate themselves to do whats needed.

So what other employers would have one on one besides GABA?
                              Most commercial language schools have man-to-man lessons but they are EXPENSIVE. Anything between 5-8,000 yen per 60 minute lesson. Because many people nowadays dont want to spend that kind of money during a bum economy they will spend it on other things. English lessons are a luxury few can afford these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X