Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Jibun Mirai Associe/NOVA Experiences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jibun Mirai Associe/NOVA Experiences

So I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with Jibun Mirai Associe/NOVA... I know their past and how they've been acquired, so more recent stories of the current company are preferred.

Any experience is welcome... but some general questions I have are...

1) Is salary pre- or post-tax? I assume pre, so what are taxes like in Japan? How much can I expect to keep?

2) Are you always guaranteed pay? For example, if classes are cancelled are you screwed?

3) How does the school find students? Do you have to recruit?

4) How often do classes have the higher number of students?

5) What are living conditions normally like? They said they try to find an apartment for you.

Any other information is welcome! Thanks!

Originally posted by ringwitharose View Post
    1) Is salary pre- or post-tax? I assume pre, so what are taxes like in Japan? How much can I expect to keep?
    Taxes are taken out at source which means before it is put in your bank account. Tax on your level of income is around 8%.

2) Are you always guaranteed pay? For example, if classes are cancelled are you screwed?
    If you are full time you are paid a set salary though part timers may be paid on a per lesson or a per day basis.

Advertising and the company website. Teachers do not have to find students as such but there may be pressure on you to get existing students to renew their lesson contracts or to buy teaching materials from the company.

In general schools like NOVA will have from 2-3 students per semi private lesson as thats what students sign up for. No idea how often.

Comment

Thanks for the information!

They've told me my pay range will be 217,350 ~ 265,650

Is that enough to live comfortably on?

Comment

Thanks for the information!

They've told me my pay range will be 217,350 ~ 265,650

Is that enough to live comfortably on?
        Consider that if you are living in a company apartment they will take out tax, insurance, rent out of your pay check before you get it. Do they make you pay a security deposit or take out money for bond/key money?

I am guessing 217,000 yen is pre-tax so income tax is 17,000 yen. Rent can be anything between 30-70,000 yen a month per person.
        Assuming the lower figure you might get anything between 150-170,000 yen in your paycheck. Take out money for transportation, food, utilities you are not left with a lot. 217,000 is considered absolutely rock bottom minimum wage. Company will tell you you can live on it (assuming you don't pay a 1/3 of your salary in rent), in which you wont save anything. I would allow 1-2,000 yen a day for daily expenses, which means you might be spending up to 40,000 yen a month (2,000 yen by 20 work days) or more on lunch, bentos, train fares and the like. Its money that will slip through your fingers and on a 200,000 yen salary its a huge chunk of your change.

Monthly pay will also be based on area, the number of students. If you live in Tokyo the cost of living is higher so you might get slightly more in a living allowance.

You could probably live on 260,000 a month as long as you are not extravagant, go out eating at restaurants three nights a week. Partying can be expensive here and there is the temptation to go out with co-workers and go sightseeing etc. You need to learn to live according to the cut of your cloth or you end up running out of money before payday and scrimping till your next pay check.

Also though its not due until your second year of working here some companies will take out city resident tax in your first year. Also find out if your company has enrolled you in health pension insurance as this can take up to a 10% bite out of your pay packet. If you are part time they will likely say you dont work enough hours and not enrol you. You need to ask all the same.
        Last edited by KansaiBen; 2012-05-16, 09:02 AM.

Comment

First of all, I got nothing bad to say about this company (at least since it changed the name!!).

I am working free lance - get paid by the hour. Tax is minimal!

Is the salary enough to survive?
          You got some answers already. It all depends where and how you live.
          If it's countryside - yup, that's more than enough.
          If you like to party, hang out every night - nope, you definitely won't make it.

Comment

KB, how different is it to the old Nova? If it's similar, it would be a reasonable place to work.
            I had no problems with the old Nova, during the 7 years I spent there. Very relaxing and stress free. Though, I do feel for the poor buggers that got caught when it went t!ts up, but I can't understand how they didn't see it coming. I left in 2003 and the writing was on the wall then, but that's another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by oxymoron View Post
              KB, how different is it to the old Nova? If it's similar, it would be a reasonable place to work.
              I had no problems with the old Nova, during the 7 years I spent there. Very relaxing and stress free. Though, I do feel for the poor buggers that got caught when it went t!ts up, but I can't understand how they didn't see it coming. I left in 2003 and the writing was on the wall then, but that's another thread.
              Maybe but fact of the matter is most teachers are living pay check to pay check and do not have a rainy day slush money fund to help them through if they have to move and change apartments. If if they can see the freight train coming its not easy to get out of the way.

NOVA was still hiring people from overseas as it was going down the tubes, some had arrived in the country, had not received a first paycheck and owed rent on their apartments. When NOVA did not pay them they were basically screwed, in a new country with no money coming in.

NOVA is stress free, you dont have to think and you just work on autopilot. No grades or tests or failing people to worry about. Knock off at 9 and forget about work.

Also I believe some branches were profitable while others were cannibalising each other as they are in close proximity and chasing after the same students, and losing money hand over fist.

Comment

Has anyone had any problems with them not giving the minimum number of hours/classes promised?

They offered me 5 days/week at 37 classes, but I see nothing in the contract that would contractually bind them to uphold that. In other words my concern comes in them being able to - legally - just go "oh well we don't have anything for you this month, sorry, make due." I'm wondering if this has ever been a problem or if it seems like there's more than enough work to go around?

Also for anyone who's worked there, what is the class cancellation rate like? And, what is the average number of students per class?

Side note - I didn't think about the grading and low-stress aspect of it! That's a great point

Edit: Side note 2 - I would be going over with my Fiancee, we both interviewed and both would be working full-time. So if it's possible to make due on one income I think it'd be relatively comfortable on two? Splitting the cost of the apartment and so on between us. We're not big party people... we like traveling but like going to things like museums, temples and aquariums. We also don't really drink which has helped us live frugal here in the states!
                Last edited by ringwitharose; 2012-05-17, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Has anyone had any problems with them not giving the minimum number of hours/classes promised?
                  If you are full time and sponsored they have to pay you the salary you were promised. They can cut part timers classes however. If they start messing with your hours and trying to cut classes its best to contact a union or the Labor Standards office. Full time means FULL time.

Edit: Side note 2 - I would be going over with my Fiancee, we both interviewed and both would be working full-time. So if it's possible to make due on one income I think it'd be relatively comfortable on two? Splitting the cost of the apartment and so on between us. We're not big party people... we like traveling but like going to things like museums, temples and aquariums. We also don't really drink which has helped us live frugal here in the states!
                  217,000 is barely enough for one person let alone two. If she is working and combine incomes/costs you should do OK on both salaries.
                  Main costs are rent and utilities and food. If you can share those then you will be ahead. Check if NOVA is charging rent PER head. In Japan you pay per head with some of these language schools, not per apartment.

Comment

Jibun Mirai is terrible. I worked for them for 3 months and then quit because the conditions are just awful for the pay you get. They promise salaries of 210,000-250,000 for new teachers, but on those new pay-per-head contracts, you'll be making way less. Track your hours and attendance because either their record keeping is awful or they try to screw you every month on something. LOL "oh we forgot that you had 4 sales lessons last month, we'll pay you that 5,000 next month, promise" LOL. idiots.

I worked 6 classes per day and never broke 210,000 in 3 months. The contracts are so shady: if you're working full time you're basically tied down for 9 hours of your day (coming in early to prep stuff and do the student evaluations - optional, but pretty necessary in the beginning) but they only actually pay you for 5/5.5 hours of work. Yeah, F-that, I value my time a bit more than that...Oh yeah, they pay for your transportation, but the reimbursement is dependent on the hours per day, so since you are technically only paid for 5 hours, then you lose a bit on the transportation, too.

The teaching itself is decent with the Nova English material, but probably 80% of the lesson plans are garbage/a bit outdated. You can easily follow their training to the letter and then coast through this job, but it's pretty mind-numbing that way.

oh yeah, good luck trying to get 2 days off in a row without a fight. Plus, they give absolutely no benefits. Health insurance? Pension? LOL you only work 5 hours a day in the books, company won't pay for that at all LOL.

Yearly bonuses? Gone. Or reduced to like 40,000 if you can average 5 students (the max) in your classes over a year. Our branches didn't have the numbers to pull that off. I had a few days when I had literally 2 classes and spend the rest of the time sharpening pencils and helping the secretaries.

Ask any of the teachers who have worked there for the past few years and they'll tell you that each year, the company makes new contracts and cuts wages and bonuses. All they care about is profit. Teachers there are 100% replaceable and Jibun Mirai knows there are plenty of idiots who'll jump on the next plane just for a chance to live in Japan, no matter how bad the job is.

If you don't have class, they pay you like 1,200 for the block and make you do stupid office ____ like writing cards, taking out the trash or handing out flyers on the street.

Use these jokers for the visa and then quit as soon as it's convenient. The only thing they have going for them is they hand out/renew visas for people outside of Japan like candy.

The housing is standard 1-room apartments with some basic furnishing, but they screw you on the housing contract if you try to move out within 6 months. Plus there's some nonsense 40,000 cleaning fee when you move out. Good luck fitting two people in company housing comfortably. It's okay for 1, but that' it.

The culture at this company is hilariously sad if you ever sit in on the video-training systems or meet any of the people who develop the material. At the very least, it'll motivate you to build a resume and GTFO out of this entry-level position before you turn into one of them. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing goes bankrupt again (WTF they change their name every 6 months; it was Jibun Mirai Holdings when I was hired and something else when I was interviewed). I heard from a few of the high-up foreigners that they're trying to market some iPad classes, but the company isn't really profiting yet. LOL the CEO apparently forgot to pay taxes last year or something LOL.

So yeah, get the visa, then GTFO of Jibun Mirai associe ASAP.
                    Last edited by [x][x]; 2012-05-18, 09:51 AM. Reason: spellingzzz

Comment

I don't know about Jibun Mirai, but from what I have heard, Haneda Mirai does some good work, including a gang bang with a few skanky looking foreigners.

I think she even ends up with it in her pooper, but she is, well, more than a bit chunky, so she's probably more of a fetish special.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                        I don't know about Jibun Mirai, but from what I have heard, Haneda Mirai does some good work, including a gang bang with a few skanky looking foreigners.

I think she even ends up with it in her pooper, but she is, well, more than a bit chunky, so she's probably more of a fetish special.

Hope that helps.
                        Sounds like my kind of gal! I'll have to check her out next time I'm in Tsutaya.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathblob View Post
                          Sounds like my kind of gal! I'll have to check her out next time I'm in Tsutaya.

I haven't looked (like I said, too chunky, not enough curve), but nudevista dot com might also be your friend...............

If only we could sign up Bursting Tits Real Estate Lady for one of those Black Shower Gangbangs............

now that is a Mirai I could look forward to.

Comment

Hey i have a job with them too

So I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with Jibun Mirai Associe/NOVA... I know their past and how they've been acquired, so more recent stories of the current company are preferred.

5) What are living conditions normally like? They said they try to find an apartment for you.

Hey Im wondering the same things you are. I was wondering if you had started yet and what info can you share?

Comment

already answered

your pay is guaranteed for the 15th of the following month, always look at the statement though.

The school does recruiting, they beg students shamelessly to come back if they don't come that week. Beyond that if you have any free time you will be outside in the rain/snow/hurricane handing out tissues with the company logo or going to apartment complexes and stuffing pamphlets into mailboxes even if someone went there the day before. You are also responsible for keeping students, if your lesson isn't attractive enough or the student decides not to take you again then the staff comes to lecture you.

Depending on the branch it can be very rarely, if you only get 1 student the staff goes "Oh you get lucky man-to-man" which some students that come regularly always get because no other students come at that time.

They will find some apartment for you, it will be small, if you are lucky you will get some sunlight to dry your clothes as that is very important since there are no dryers. The rent for me was 45000 yen/month for my tiny apartment about the size of my bedroom back in the US.

Some things that happened to me that you should be wary of, they will blame any loss of students on you. If you don't have many students and there is more than 1 teacher they can give your students to the senior teacher and send you home without pay for the day or allow you to use one of your 10 days of vacation. They make you take 1 day vacation during the end of year week off due to how they work the calendar. You will clean everything in the school including the sign outside the building. They can send you anywhere at any time, don't think the home branch they give you means anything, I had to travel between 4 different branches during the week, sometimes an hour and half one-way to work. They can change your home branch and if it is within train distance then they will not change your apartment, my home branch was changed from in my city to 40 min away by train. Remember, as an instructor at this company your responsibility isn't to teach the students, it is to provide entertainment for them and beg them to come back, so don't think that they will ever improve, if you try being a teacher they can complain to the staff about you if they felt it was too hard and you will be scolded and told to make the classes more fun. Their only goal is making money, nothing else, so don't forget that. Finally, your word means diddly to them, any staff or other teacher can say anything they want about you behind your back and if you argue with it your word means nothing so bring some knee pads and be prepared to kiss a lot of butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X