Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Age Discrimination In Teaching Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Discrimination In Teaching Jobs

Maybe this topic has been discussed here before, but if so here goes again.

I was wondering if people have had any experience(s) with age discrimination when applying for jobs in Japan.

It doesn't matter the type of position: bottom of the barrel eikaiwai gakko, ALT, part-time, full-time, university, etc.

Do the employers want the 'cute young things' or doesn't it matter when it comes to age?

Cheaper is better and all that.

I know that age discrimination is rampant in the university sector with many job specifying age limits for applicants.

I seem to recall Jet program used to have an age limit, but got rid of it because people complained. But they probably still use it.

Comment

Frankly speaking, I don't understand the question. Due to the state of the job market, there are usually many candidates for a given positon and age is just one factor among many. A older person would usually have more teaching experience, but an employer would a also look at many other things, especially what kind of clients the school have. I'd not put a 50+ person to teach kindergarden, but that person would make more sense for middle-aged businessmen.

As language teaching in Japan has usually also a certain amount of 'entertainment' and 'sales', I'd even say that a 'genki' attitude and even looks could be more important. As some schools might prefer 'inexperienced' staff, for the sole reason that they can eaily sr*w them over with things like unpaid overtime or other deductions.

Comment

Originally posted by yankee01 View Post
        Do the employers want the 'cute young things' or doesn't it matter when it comes to age?

Cheaper is better and all that.

I know that age discrimination is rampant in the university sector with many job specifying age limits for applicants.
        University teachers are paid according to how many years ago you graduated from university, so yes, older more experienced teachers cost more to hire. With full time positions they will ask for someone under 35 or under 40 as it means they dont have to pay them as much.

Im pushing 50, just got hired at a dispatch company so it really depends on the company or school.

Comment

There is definitely age discrimination. Under 30 is preferred. I think it's because younger people are more naive about being exploited.

Comment

Also, many unis fit the position with the age. Unis will be reluctant to fill a full-time lecturer position with an older person if the salary schedule is based on age. Associate and full professor positions can go to older applicants providing they have the qualifications.

Comment

Originally posted by J Phater
              Dispatch company for what? ALTs?
              As well as my university classes I teach some adult classes and work at three kindergartens over three days (don't laugh, it pays the rent)

Comment

Just chalk age discrimination up as one of numerous forms of discrimination you'll find in Japan. Equal opportunity is a very foreign concept here (although there is legislation to 'discourage' discrimination against women). Costs, looks, misguided beliefs about innovation and cognitive function, less willing to take crap or be exploited. No doubt there are other ustifications.

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
                  University teachers are paid according to how many years ago you graduated from university, so yes, older more experienced teachers cost more to hire. With full time positions they will ask for someone under 35 or under 40 as it means they dont have to pay them so much.
                  Yes, I know about the university pay system and was well aware of the increases in pay as one gets older. It was nice to see those salary increases when I was in Japan.

And yes you can see some Universities also put the pay for different ages in their job ads. Waseda is one that comes to mind, but you have to be one of those piled high and deep types.

So, you are 50 and able to get work. Were there any comments made about your age at all?

Here in Oz age discrimination is rampant across all sectors of the economy especially for those over 50.

The CV/resume just basically gets put in the "NO WAY" pile and well you know the rest, but hey starting in July if you hire someone over 50 and keep them for three months the OZ government will give you $1000..................

Comment

Originally posted by yankee01 View Post
                    So, you are 50 and able to get work. Were there any comments made about your age at all?

Here in Oz age discrimination is rampant across all sectors of the economy especially for those over 50.

The CV/resume just basically gets put in the "NO WAY" pile and well you know the rest, but hey starting in July if you hire someone over 50 and keep them for three months the OZ government will give you $1000..................
                    My resume was thin on the teaching kids thing but I have taught elementary school students privately and they just told the schools I was teaching as their head office. I also live in the area and was available for those hours so it worked out quite well. I'm managing to pick up some experience though its not exactly rocket science its a lot of fun working with small children compared to many college kids.

I have a Kiwi friend my age living in Sydney and he's basically on the breadline, living off savings and competing for scraps against people 20 years younger than him.

Comment

University teachers are paid according to how many years ago you graduated from university, so yes, older more experienced teachers cost more to hire. With full time positions they will ask for someone under 35 or under 40 as it means they dont have to pay them as much.

Im pushing 50, just got hired at a dispatch company so it really depends on the company or school.

Pushed and passed 50 some time ago but still able to get the ALT positions. For old curmudgeons like myself, usually put a lower age on the first application so I can at least make it to the interview. Then the employer can choose between young, naive and likely to soon quit, or old, proper visa and experienced.
                      Many of the dispatch companies have a huge turnover rate, but they keep hiring the young & unknowing, as the experienced old farts tend not to put up with their funny business.

Comment

As well as my university classes I teach some adult classes and work at three kindergartens over three days (don't laugh, it pays the rent)
                        Can you really see the toes to touch in "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Whatever..."

Comment

Originally posted by Call_It_Like_Eye_See_It View Post
                          Can you really see the toes to touch in "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Whatever..."

Nah, do it from memory and reach them with my walking stick. Some of the tanin sensei are as big as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ludd View Post
                            Pushed and passed 50 some time ago but still able to get the ALT positions. For old curmudgeons like myself, usually put a lower age on the first application so I can at least make it to the interview.
                            And how about other places?

Well it sounds as if there are still some types of jobs for the 'over the hill' types around Japan. Just not the full time university jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ludd View Post
                              Pushed and passed 50 some time ago but still able to get the ALT positions. .
                              I admire your open-mindedness about age discrimination.

I always used to turn up my nose at the idea of pushing 50 year olds, so I always passed, but this one time I met this really nice one on the plane, and she asked if she could come and visit me in Okinawa titter titter wink wink so when I got a few days off, she came down and we rented one of those weekly apartment places, and Oh! Boyo! was she ever able to get the ALT positions. Good thing I sprung for the nicer place with the thicker concrete walls!!!!!!!!!!!!

She must have gone to the gym or done something, because she was taut and tight, and had one of those cute pixie faces with the short bobbed hair.

I still find the mildly maternal sexy talk a lot of women that age use a bit off-putting, but I have certainly learned my lesson about the danger of discriminating based on something as arbitrary as age.

As Seattlegirl might have written when talking about having rumby bump with older women: they are only as old as they feel when you feel them.

One question: I am pretty up on my positions, and love a good Eki-ben, but which ones are the ALT positions????????

Comment

Working...
                              X