Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Fed up!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed up!!

Anyone just sick of listening to crappy English Day in day out despite
    Giving all the tools to enable students to utter more than just one word.

Tired of asking inane, profound questions just to keep the lesson going? Tired of blank stares when you as the student to ask someone a question or create a topic.

Tired of asking hi, how are you? and get no response or fine thank you and you!
    Add to it so I can feel better about the job.

No

Sorry, I'm not those things pay the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuchi1 View Post

Tired of asking inane, profound questions just to keep the lesson going? Tired of blank stares when you as the student to ask someone a question or create a topic.

Dude, You're suffering from an identity crisis. It's quite common on these shores but fortunately I know of a cure. All you really need to do is change your wardrobe.

Toss out your boring blue suits and tailored white shirts in favor of more boldly colorful, harlequin-patterned socks, trousers and pull-overs. Experiment with wigs, bow ties and goofy hats. And don't forget your floppy yellow shoes.

It may be a blow to your ego at first but it's important that you come to see yourself as others do. Remember - with acceptance comes peace.

Comment

No crisis!

Originally posted by Piethrower View Post
        Dude, You're suffering from an identity crisis. It's quite common on these shores but fortunately I know of a cure. All you really need to do is change your wardrobe.

Toss out your boring blue suits and tailored white shirts in favor of more boldly colorful, harlequin-patterned socks, trousers and pull-overs. Experiment with wigs, bow ties and goofy hats. And don't forget your floppy yellow shoes.

It may be a blow to your ego at first but it's important that you come to see yourself as others do. Remember - with acceptance comes peace.
        Don't wear a suit, don't have a boss breathing down my neck. Just tired of motivating lame a55 English students in Japan.
        Sure it pays the bills but when I get home my brain is on shutdown and I'm mentally exhausted.

Never used to be like that in the other 2 countries I have worked, quite the opposite. Those students motivated me and their motivation
        is what used to get me to work, not the money.

But hey I'm sure there are heaps of people in the same boat we all call home, Japan.

Comment

Cure

You need a J-girlfriend, that makes the brain mush worth it.

Comment

Never used to be like that in the other 2 countries I have worked, quite the opposite. Those students motivated me and their motivation
            is what used to get me to work, not the money.
            Then why did you leave those students that motivated you? For better money!

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
              Then why did you leave those students that motivated you? For better money!
              Wife had to come back, look after parents. No mortgage, houses are cheap here!
              Just seemed right at the time, still is, just need to get round this slack student thing then all will
              be perfect.

Comment

.... just need to get round this slack student thing then all will be perfect.
                If you find the answer please let us know.

Thanks in advance.

K44

Comment

Tell me!!

Originally posted by Ken44 View Post
                  If you find the answer please let us know.

Thanks in advance.

K44
                  I hope someone can tell me, I know it isn't going to change but what do others do to brush it off and get on with the job?
                  I mean I have taught some students for a long time,many years, at a company, which is paid for by said company but the student treat it like it is not going to benefit them or their future.

Many other countries workers have to pay out of their own pocket and do so willingly but here, the mind boggles.......

Comment

Your advanced class sounds tough....

Comment

やっぱり!!

Originally posted by HarryHurry View Post
                      Your advanced class sounds tough....
                      It was only a matter of time for the likes of the above to put in their 000.4 yens worth.
                      Trying to increase your post number?

Comment

Just having fun

Since you asked,my advice is to start amusing yourself. I do little things that crack me up throughout my lessons that make me laugh. The students that are kind of "with it",can sense something is funny and everyone starts having a good time. Of course,there are times when I feel like screaming.....so I scream. That usually wakes up the zombies and brings them back to the task at hand.
                        If you're really bad off,I would try and figure out what makes you happy and do it.
                        And most importantly,ignoring advice from the likes of me is probably the best place for you to start.

Comment

Reality

Your students act like that in class, because they KNOW the english classes aren't going to benefit them or their future. You're the only one who thinks otherwise.

Comment

It was only a matter of time for the likes of the above to put in their 000.4 yens worth.
                            Trying to increase your post number?
                            I think I see your problem now. You're uptight...

Comment

How do you know?

Originally posted by vallient View Post
                              Your students act like that in class, because they KNOW the english classes aren't going to benefit them or their future. You're the only one who thinks otherwise.
                              It makes me laugh how people are so quick to blame the teacher, it isn't my teaching style or the content of my classes, it's the lack of desire to learn and Japanese constantly humbling themselves along with the chant. 難しい!難しい!, yet we are still doing to be.
                              They have already studied it to death in HS and uni and are not ready to take that leap from being passive to active, which will actually have them communicating but it is a cultural barrier to learning for the Japanese.

Vallient, you must be an amazing teacher who has never experienced this with Japanese students, perhaps you have a magnet that attracts these great, communicative, energetic students to your greatness.
                              You are amazing. Not!

Comment

Working...
                              X