Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Best time to move to Japan for teaching.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenski
    replied
    Early winter includes part of Jan to me. We have a long spell up here.

As for late March, you did say up to April.

As for not knowing a bad employer, gimme a break!

Re: having a visa
    Not everyone hires WHV holders, although he does stand a slightly better chance than people who need a work visa. One key point: I am not sure WHV holders can get work as ALTs, though. I think not.

Indie,
    As for your gf, she could come on the WHV, too, if she qualifies, then switch to work visa. You are right about French jobs. Fairly rare, especially FT ones. Her level of kanji is about half that of a typical HS grad here. Not that much to crow about, and it says nothing about how well she SPEAKS. If she wants a non-teaching job, she will probably need more Japanese. What would she want?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Glenski View Post
    Squeegee,
    The reason I am not banned is because my information IS correct. Look back. I said winter. You now change YOUR tune from late March to all winter.

As for not knowing what I am talking about with regard to ALTs sitting around all winter, I never said that. YOU did.
    You said late fall/early winter, which I take to be November/December, suggesting that ALTs just sit around waiting for the call from then until April, which is obviously not what happens. I never said anything about late March. But anyway, even late March and the OP would probably still found a job given that he already has a visa.

End of March does not give an ALT fresh off the boat time enough to get a work visa. The last two weeks in March are when dispatch agencies get word from the BOEs about locations which is why that is when ALTs typically hear about their assignments.
    I didn't say end of March! No-one said end of March! The OP already has a visa so this advice about "enough time to get a work visa" does not apply to him. Many ALTs already have visas already!

Oh, and there is a good reason so many places are "desperate" for ALTs. They are crappy employers!
    Some are and some aren't. I don't know how you would know anyway as you don't know much else about it.

Leave a comment:

• Glenski
    replied
    Squeegee,
    The reason I am not banned is because my information IS correct. Look back. I said winter. You now change YOUR tune from late March to all winter.

As for not knowing what I am talking about with regard to ALTs sitting around all winter, I never said that. YOU did. Stop putting words in my mouth.

End of March does not give an ALT fresh off the boat time enough to get a work visa. The last two weeks in March are when dispatch agencies get word from the BOEs about locations which is why that is when ALTs typically hear about their assignments.

Oh, and there is a good reason so many places are "desperate" for ALTs. They are crappy employers!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sorry, but from what I've heard, ALT recruitment for April takes place in the late fall / early winter beforehand. Final selection is done closer to March, which is why so many don't know where they are assigned until 2 weeks before they actually start work.
    Well you heard wrong. There are plenty of ALT jobs being advertised for April right now, right here on this website Gaijinpot. There will continue to be such positions advertised right up to the beginning of term, after which the odd position will become available. You really think these dispatch companies are able to recruit all the ALTs they need six months beforehand? Presumably you think all the ALTs just sit around twiddling their thumbs for six months waiting for the call. You don't know what you are talking about.

To be honest, I don't know why you are not banned from this site. Sure, you know a few things about visas but that does not compensate for the misinformation you spread in other areas. The misinformation you spread goes directly contrary to the core purpose of Gaijinpot -- which is to make money by advertising teaching jobs. Your falsely telling people there are not teaching jobs is not exactly helping Gaijinpot's cause. Still, I guess it's their lookout.

Sorry again, but most ALT dispatchers are like that. Just residing in Japan doesn't guarantee placement.
    Given the OP's educational background and the fact that he is a native speaker, with some persistence him and his girlfriend will almost certainly get ALT positions. A lot of these places are desperate for people. So much so that they have to hire non-native speakers, sometimes who can not even speak very good English. There is no doubt whatsoever that in an ideal world, understandably, they would prefer to hire native speakers. Anyway, even if the OP doesn't land an ALT job straight off the boat, he and his girlfriend will definitely find other kinds of teaching work if they look around.
    Last edited by squeegee; 2013-01-09, 09:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• indie.soda
    replied
    Theoretically, yes, WHV holders are taxed 20%. In reality, some are and some aren't. Expect (plan for) the worst.

Would have been nice to know right away instead of after your 3rd post that you are coming with a girlfriend. Makes a difference. There is no guarantee that either of you will find work, so you can't necessarily plan on having a double income situation. What can you tell us about her, with regard to background and education and desired job? Will she come on a WHV, too?

Sorry, but from what I've heard, ALT recruitment for April takes place in the late fall / early winter beforehand. Final selection is done closer to March, which is why so many don't know where they are assigned until 2 weeks before they actually start work.

Sorry again, but most ALT dispatchers are like that. Just residing in Japan doesn't guarantee placement.
    My girlfriend is in a very similar situation as I am (i.e: she has a degree, but no teaching certificate), but her Japanese is much better than mine. Also she speaks French fluently, which may or may not make a difference (since I know French-teaching jobs are very difficult to come by). She wants to teach as well, but she's willing to settle for something else if at all possible. A non-teaching job would be difficult, I would imagine, for someone who speaks very elementary Japanese (she knows about 1500+ kanji at this point). Her financial situation is also better than mine, and from what we've calculated, as long as one of us has a full-time job, we should be okay. Keeping in mind, both of us are okay with moving to a cheaper place if we have to.

Regarding the alt situation: See, I've heard that too, but I've also heard the opposite. It's so hard to know since I know a lot of the information on the Internet tends to be contradictory. I was just speaking with an English teacher from Nara and he told me the best time to apply for those positions is between January-March, but that there's always positions opening all year around. I appreciate the information and I'll definitely research more companies and be 100% ready to apply everywhere as soon as I have a Japanese address.

Leave a comment:

• indie.soda
    replied
    Originally posted by caramellocap View Post
    Indie soda - sure, 5 grand sounds enough for living expenses while looking for work but it won't be. The job market has changed in Japan and there's far more competition. If you're w/out work for around 2-3 months, 5,000 bucks Canadian into Japanese yen will be cutting it very fine. It's not unusual for people in your position to go back home broke and with no job.
    For sure. I'm not coming to Japan with unrealistic expectations. I know it's pretty risky, but thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to be smart about it as possible. I started to budget my entire trip/stay well in advance for a worst case scenario, and from what I've calculated I should be okay for three months. However, as I'm sure you're aware, there are always unexpected expenses which can cut that time-frame short considerably.

Leave a comment:

• Glenski
    replied
    Theoretically, yes, WHV holders are taxed 20%. In reality, some are and some aren't. Expect (plan for) the worst.

Would have been nice to know right away instead of after your 3rd post that you are coming with a girlfriend. Makes a difference. There is no guarantee that either of you will find work, so you can't necessarily plan on having a double income situation. What can you tell us about her, with regard to background and education and desired job? Will she come on a WHV, too?

Originally posted by squeegee
    As you said, the Japanese school year starts in April so around the beginning of March is the best time to start looking for ALT work.

Originally posted by squeegee
    Coming to Japan and looking for work here is probably the better route. Places like Interac do employ people from abroad but that means you have to go where Interac send you.

Leave a comment:

• original-username
    replied
    the school year starts in april but I find most jobs (of foreign alts I know) follow the western school year schedule and start in august for some weird reason.

Leave a comment:

• caramellocap
    replied
    Originally posted by indie.soda View Post
    Ah yes... "in case".. thank you.

Yeah that would make perfect sense. We're going as a couple, so I think we should be okay with the amount of money we have saved up, provided I do find a job within 2-3 months, which I hope I would. Regarding the location - for sure, but we're staying at a crappy gaijin house/apartment, where there's no real contract, so moving out wouldn't be super problematic. I'll be sure to check out Heart and Jibun Mirai. I've heard bad things about Heart as well, but I suppose we'll see.

I appreciate the feedback.
    Be aware that some companies hiring out gaijin as Alts have different names. I've heard that Interac and other companies that dispatch gaijin to schools don't always use their company name - anybody know if that's true? It'd be helpful for indiesoda to know who is who.

Indie soda - sure, 5 grand sounds enough for living expenses while looking for work but it won't be. The job market has changed in Japan and there's far more competition. If you're w/out work for around 2-3 months, 5,000 bucks Canadian into Japanese yen will be cutting it very fine. It's not unusual for people in your position to go back home broke and with no job.

Leave a comment:

• indie.soda
    replied
    Ah yes... "in case".. thank you.

Yeah that would make perfect sense. We're going as a couple, so I think we should be okay with the amount of money we have saved up, provided I do find a job within 2-3 months, which I hope I would. Regarding the location - for sure, but we're staying at a crappy gaijin house/apartment, where there's no real contract, so moving out wouldn't be super problematic. I'll be sure to check out Heart and Jibun Mirai. I've heard bad things about Heart as well, but I suppose we'll see.

I appreciate the feedback.

Leave a comment:

• Rooster.
    replied
    Originally posted by indie.soda View Post
    I apologize if this has already been asked about a million times but I just wanted to inquire about something.

I'm a Canadian citizen, with a BA and a teaching degree, and I'm planning on moving to Japan at the beginning of March (to Tokyo, that is).

Would that be too late? I mean I understand that a lot of schools start in April, but encase I wasn't able to get a job right away, and provided I had enough funds available (I already have a place setup, everything else planned, etc.) is it still possible to find teaching jobs after April? Do schools still hire at that time?
    I think that you mean "in case".

You can find a job year round but the main hiring time is March/April followed by September/October.

As long as you aren't picky you can get a job with your qualifications. However, moving to Japan without a job means you will need a lot of money (~$5,000) and patience while applying to schools. Also, you are narrowing yourself to the area in which you move to.

Heart and Jibun Mirai are both in the Tokyo area and would be easy to get a job with, although neither has a very good reputation.

Leave a comment:

• indie.soda
    replied
    Great, thanks a lot! I figured as much, but I just wanted to make sure. Other than ECC most companies do not seem to hire out of Canada, and the other one that does provides you with their own accommodation (which is problematic, since I'm coming with my g/f, which will help greatly with our financial situation). Another thing, if anyone knows, with a WHV (working holiday visa), is it true that the tax rate is 20%?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As you said, the Japanese school year starts in April so around the beginning of March is the best time to start looking for ALT work. There are always people dropping out and finding other jobs so there would always be openings after that. You would certainly have to wait a while till you got paid, but no different to any job anywhere, as far as I know.

Coming to Japan and looking for work here is probably the better route. Places like Interac do employ people from abroad but that means you have to go where Interac send you.

Leave a comment:

• indie.soda
    replied
    Right, that would make sense. Since I'll be coming on a working holiday visa, I would imagine there would be less paperwork for me? I mean they wouldn't have to sponsor me, but I'd imagine the hiring process itself would be lengthy (like any other job) and I wouldn't get paid for a while considering the once a month payment system in Japan.

I've seen companies like Interac post a lot of job listings before but they're almost always "applicant must currently reside in Japan", which is why I was thinking of applying for them as soon I get there. I was just wondering if the beginning of March would be too late (in terms of eikawa/alt - not so much the public system), or if schools will continue to hire around that time period.

Leave a comment:

• themoonrules
    replied
    If you mean schools like JR High Schools and SR High Schools, most schools don't hire directly (and the one's that do hire directly are hard to find), you'd have to go through various companies like Interac if you want to work in the school system. If a teacher quits then it might be possible, but you'd have to sit around and wait for an opening, so it is better to get a job beforehand.

If you do come to Japan first, then you then need to job search around in Japan, which might be difficult since there are employers who will only hire from within Japan if you already have a proper working status, but if you do find a job, you still have to wait a bit before all your paperwork is processed from temporary visitor to instructor (or other status) before you can legally start working, which takes longer than overnight.

Best thing to do is see what jobs you can apply for overseas and get before spending the cash to come over.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X