Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Amity or Interac or ECC??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amity or Interac or ECC??

Hi everyone!

I am new here and it's nice to meet you all!

I'm getting ready for interviews with all 3 companies. I'm nervous be excited at the same time. Just wondering if anyone has worked for any of the companies and may have some tips or some stories. I been trying to read a lot about these companies online but a lot of it is out dated.

Hope to hear back from some people! I really want to teach in Japan, just need to get offered the job and make sure it's a good company.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Sailormoon555 View Post
    Hi everyone!

I am new here and it's nice to meet you all!

I'm getting ready for interviews with all 3 companies. I'm nervous be excited at the same time. Just wondering if anyone has worked for any of the companies and may have some tips or some stories. I been trying to read a lot about these companies online but a lot of it is out dated.

Hope to hear back from some people! I really want to teach in Japan, just need to get offered the job and make sure it's a good company.

Thanks!
    I've never worked for any of them, but ECC is an eikaiwa chain, Interac is an ALT dispatch company and Amity is a city in New York that has a house possessed by Satan.
    Last edited by Old Style; 2013-05-22, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
      I've never worked for any of them, but ECC is an eikaiwa chain, Interac is an ALT dispatch company and Amity is a city in New York that has a house possessed by Satan.
      Interac may also be possessed by Satan. But once you sell your soul, it's smooth sailing. I hardly miss mine. Though occasionally on some Christmas Eve nights, I feel a bit of regret.
      More seriously, what's your background? Eikaiwa and ALTing are different sorts of teaching. Hard to say what would be more to your liking.

Comment

I'm graduating from University this spring from a course in Theatre. But I have been a volunteer/mentor in a high school for over 4 years. That's where most of my experience is coming from.

Comment

If you go to Amity, watch out for sharks.

Comment

Sharks?? What do you mean by that?

Comment

Originally posted by Sailormoon555 View Post
              Sharks?? What do you mean by that?
              Duh Duh
              Duh Duh
              DUHDUHDUHDUH.......

Hmmm? It's not really easy to write the Jaws theme now is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
                Duh Duh
                Duh Duh
                DUHDUHDUHDUH.......

Hmmm? It's not really easy to write the Jaws theme now is it?
                Oh, man. I bet they are devil possessed sharks too. Stay out of the water.

Theatre and voluteer tutoring. Sounds good. Did you try for the JET programme? If it's not too late to apply, look into that.
                I work for Interac, so I'll brief you a bit on that. It's the biggest of many "dispatch" companies. They screen and manage assistant language teachers for Japanese schools. They are the middle men. As an ALT you will be "assisting" a Japanese English teacher. This can be anything from being a human CD player to creating and running your own classes. Each situation is different, I think being a theatre type will help you here, lots of different roles to play. As a company, they won't rip you off more than industry average. What does happen is ALTs are contractually, "available" to work 40 hours. They only count 29.5 of those as "work" hours. This gets the company out of contributing to your Japanese health and pension taxes. As these taxes are based on your previous year's Japanese earnings and during your first year in Japan those earnings are zero, it's not a big deal for newbies. But it can be a shock for folks starting their 2nd! All dispatch workers are in the same boat here. Interac threads the loopholes in labor law so their clients don't have to.
                It's a lousy career, but a great job! Once you get settled and figure out what you are doing, it's like you do all the "fun" teacher stuff and skip out on all the tedious meetings, grading, test making, etc. Can't beat having all school vacations as time off (though with a pay cut). Again, look into JET if it's not too late. Same sort of work, but with a nice, fat government paycheck, benifits and they buy your plane tickets.
                Last edited by Marley's Ghost; 2013-05-23, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncompletist View Post
                  If you go to Amity, watch out for sharks.
                  You're gonna need a bigger dope.

Comment

Not to be too much of a wet blanket but perhaps you had better concentrate on knowing good grammar and proof reading what you write before becoming an English teacher. Just saying. Good luck with the interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by arisuta View Post
                      Not to be too much of a wet blanket but perhaps you had better concentrate on knowing good grammar and proof reading what you write before becoming an English teacher. Just saying. Good luck with the interviews.
                      nonsense, if you get collared by a student just tell them its the 'British' 'American' or whatever country you are from's spelling/way of speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by rm83 View Post
                        nonsense, if you get collared by a student just tell them its the 'British' 'American' or whatever country you are from's spelling/way of speaking.
                        And so the standard of English taught in Japan deteriorates just a little more and people can trust their English teacher a little less. I thought that we wanted to be taken seriously as professionals. People keep wondering why teaching English in Japan is seen as a joke job. Allowing standards to slip just because most people are incapable of discerning good from bad English is a pretty appalling attitude for people who want to be regarded as 'professionals'.

Comment

And so the standard of English taught in Japan deteriorates just a little more and people can trust their English teacher a little less. I thought that we wanted to be taken seriously as professionals. People keep wondering why teaching English in Japan is seen as a joke job. Allowing standards to slip just because most people are incapable of discerning good from bad English is a pretty appalling attitude for people who want to be regarded as 'professionals'.
                          oh yes appalling, well i never

Comment

No, you probably never acted like a professional in your life.

Comment

No, you probably never acted like a professional in your life.
                              i was professional when i smashed your mums backdoor in

Comment

Working...
                              X