Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Jibun Mirai Associe Contract/Salary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to agree with kabunushi.

I frequently check gaijinpot jobs and over the past 4 years the salary finally hit rock bottom. I believe I have seen the 150 000 a month ad posted on here. Also I noticed that companies offering 200 000 or lower have their ads up year round. Sometimes the ad will go away and a few month later show up again offering 210 000.

The economy here in NA is "recovering" but fresh graduates are stuck with ____ deals. Right now there is a new trend when it comes to hiring fresh graduates. Companies simply have unreasonable demands and force overqualified graduates to work for minimum wage or intern(free).

Example: IT position that requires you to put in 7 days a week shift. You have to know 20 different computer languages (some have nothing to do with IT field). Be a professional website developer. Have background in marketing and masters in business. Wage is 15$ an hour.

Other options? Teaching abroad and hope you get 250 000/month.

I was thinking because of radiation they will increase wages to attract foreigners but even Fukushima positions offer very little.

Comment

Originally posted by tt20 View Post
      Have to agree with kabunushi.

I frequently check gaijinpot jobs and over the past 4 years the salary finally hit rock bottom. I believe I have seen the 150 000 a month ad posted on here. Also I noticed that companies offering 200 000 or lower have their ads up year round. Sometimes the ad will go away and a few month later show up again offering 210 000.

The economy here in NA is "recovering" but fresh graduates are stuck with ____ deals. Right now there is a new trend when it comes to hiring fresh graduates. Companies simply have unreasonable demands and force overqualified graduates to work for minimum wage or intern(free).

Example: IT position that requires you to put in 7 days a week shift. You have to know 20 different computer languages (some have nothing to do with IT field). Be a professional website developer. Have background in marketing and masters in business. Wage is 15$ an hour.

Other options? Teaching abroad and hope you get 250 000/month.

I was thinking because of radiation they will increase wages to attract foreigners but even Fukushima positions offer very little.
      The economy is hardly recovering, that's just propaganda. Even if it was true that unemployment stat is going down, that says nothing about the quality of jobs that are being created.

I've talked to a few teachers in Japan that have told me that they expect their pay to get better and that when you start at the bottom things will always suck. Hoping you get 250k/month is getting one thing, but then would you satisfied with 350k/month? Imo this teaching stuff is a dead end unless you use your savings to develop your own business. Without a PR, your chances of doing something other than teaching is difficult.

Comment

I agree with Songbird, outside of EAL and teaching there is really no way to get into Japan, and once your here your skills start getting dated as you realize the job market in everything is saturated.

Comment

Originally posted by vallient View Post
          I agree with Songbird, outside of EAL and teaching there is really no way to get into Japan, and once your here your skills start getting dated as you realize the job market in everything is saturated.
          Not everyone is as unqualified and nonspecialized as you.

Curtly,
          A.

Comment

Originally posted by vallient View Post
            Yeah but unemployment is 20-50% worldwide. youth unemployment hits at or near those figures officially. in the us, officially it's at 9% even for general population but only because another 10% of the workforce gave up on looking. The only thing worse that a sh!tty salary is being unable to get any job. That really dates your skills and unfairly marks you as a total loser too.

Comment

I'd argue that even the supposed specialized jobs will eventually be replaced by robots. With the advances in technology, expect the endgame to be PhDs becoming the new high school diploma and job hunting license.

Comment

An EAL instructor position in Japan at a minimum of 20€ an hour is pretty good for someone with an otherwise useless degree and no other marketable skills, and that salary will put you at the same status level as any other Japanese UNI graduate. Beats fighting for a job slinging Starbucks at 8€ an hour and watching anime in your parents basement eating wasabi peas dreaming of Japan.

Comment

Do they really send you all over the place if they don't like you?

Comment

Originally posted by dichotomy1974 View Post
                    Do they really send you all over the place if they don't like you?
                    You don't have to agree to go anywhere other than your main locations. You main locations may be an hour away, though, with closer locations in between.

Comment

Working...
                    X