Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Been offered an interview: Any advice/common mistakes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been offered an interview: Any advice/common mistakes?

Hi,

To get it out the way, I'm new and a noob to the forum and have searched for similar topics but couldn't find anything under the search "Interview". So sorry if their articles on this or something.

I have an interview with Jibun Mirai (Nova) I applied through their website. I was initially excited with high hopes until I got to the end of the email! I'll just list the questions I have and hopefully you wont guys wont fry me for my naivety lol.

1.)Does your Skype username matter? (It's similar to my forum one here)

2.)I'm assuming it's wise to treat this interview as any real one and dress up appropriately?

3.)What kind of questions do they ask? What happens exactly? How long? Has anyone had a skype/webcam interview on here? I'd be grateful if you shared what happened!

4.)General/common things you should be expecting

Now here's the 'issue' that knocked me off my 'excited' status: "Please can you scan a copy of your university degree". The problem is I don't actually have one. I just checked my application form and I definitely ticked 'NO' in "Do you have a degree" field. But what I did do, as I thought it was the only relevant place to put it, put my Certificate Of Higher Education (for completing one year at university) in the 'Degree Awarded field'.

What chance is there that they actually made a mistake here and think I have a degree? Or assume it's a degree because I put in the the degree field? Or because I put it in the degree field they're just naming as a degree because they know no better but do know it's not an actual degree (lol, if that makes sense). The other issue is the certificate hasn't been sent to me yet so I cannot scan it in. (I plan on obtaining a working holiday visa, clearly pointed out in my cover letter I sent)

So any answers or advice you can give me based on the scribble of info above would be most welcomed!

well you could either ask them if it is an ok qualification before the interview so as to avoid heartbreak after the interview, or you can just put a copy of your certificate up there an hope for the best.

by the way, certain employers monitor this sight, just a heads up

Comment

Yeah thanks, I'm aware of this; Someone got turned down after a successful interview right? After he'd sent belongings to Japan and all. I will make a new Skype account.

Comment

Are you already in Japan with legal working permission? You do know that a BA/BSc is needed to get a Humanities visa right? A CertHE won't cut it unfortunately AFAIK.

EDIT: Apologies, my mistake, I've just read that you're planning to get a WHV. Please let me know how you get on with Jibun Mirai as I may be in a similar situation at some point.
        Last edited by Spark; 2013-07-18, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Apologises for a sort of waste of a thread people. I basically found out most of the info I want myself on here and on their website. After a second careful look it does say, under requirements, "1-2 years of tertiary education" Which I fit under. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Interview experiences would still be welcomed though. Cheers!

@Spark - Sure will do. Anything to help someone not embarrass themselves like I no doubt will. The only thing I fear is a on the spot niche grammar question lol

Comment

Originally posted by SqushyMuffin View Post
            The only thing I fear is a on the spot niche grammar question lol
            Yeah , ya have to watch out for this one ........ "Is the yoke of "an" egg white or "are" the yokes of an egg white"

Comment

@Spark - Sure will do. Anything to help someone not embarrass themselves like I no doubt will. The only thing I fear is a on the spot niche grammar question lol
              Thanks, it will be interesting to see how it goes for you.

My situation would be similar to yours only that I would be on a spouse visa instead oh WHV. Like you I also only have a CertHE but not a Bachelors (UK CertHE is about equivalent to a US Associates degree I think).

Comment

Originally posted by AW1 View Post
                Yeah , ya have to watch out for this one ........ "Is the yoke of "an" egg white or "are" the yokes of an egg white"
                Ah, tricky! I think I got this one: "Yolk" not "Yoke" right? And they're yellow, so both is wrong.

I mean are wrong.

Comment

4.)General/common things you should be expecting

If you post up details of your ensuing offer letter on here, complete with your details, then mouth off about how you plan to leave them as soon as you can find another job, then you can expect your offer to be rescinded.

Just a general warning based on another applicant's experience a couple of weeks back. Was somewhat funny.

Comment

Apologises for a sort of waste of a thread people. I basically found out most of the info I want myself on here and on their website. After a second careful look it does say, under requirements, "1-2 years of tertiary education" Which I fit under. So I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
                    I used to work for nova, a very long time ago.

All I would say is, for nova they only need the 1-2 years of tertiary education, but please be aware that if you want to leave nova and switch to another company, or even an international school, finding a company who will accept you without a degree may prove rather difficult.

If I were you, I would get something like a CELTA as well, if you plan on staying in Japan for any length of time.
                    Working in that environment for pittance with low salary and few holidays can get old very quickly, and I would personally make provisions in case you want to switch to something else after a few years.

Thats all I Wanted to add. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ume View Post
                      I used to work for nova, a very long time ago.
                      Me too...have you fully recovered yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
                        Me too...have you fully recovered yet?
                        As did I. Don't think being able to speak English was a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ludd View Post
                          As did I. Don't think being able to speak English was a requirement.
                          At least Ume's somewhat coherent, what happened to us?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
                            At least Ume's somewhat coherent, what happened to us?
                            Coherent people have bland resumes. They also tend to stick together.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ludd View Post
                              Coherent people have bland resumes. They also tend to stick together.
                              I'd like to stay with the group, but they keep moving and never tell me where they're going!

Comment

Working...
                              X